Meals in jars

 Recently I bought a book to create freeze dried meals in jars.  What you do is you freeze dry the separate ingredients and then you combine the ingredients in a quart canning jar.  Then when you are ready to make the food you open the jar, dump it in a pan, add water, boil and then simmer until it is done.  Kind of reminds of something similar to hamburger helper, but healthier because all ingredients are ones I freeze dried myself.  

Today I did the hamburger for some of the recipes…..tomorrow I am going to freeze dry cheese, and then each day will keep going until I have all the ingredients for each recipe.  Once I do I will put them together and put them in my pantry.  I am so excited about this.  Easy and healthy meals.  

I also just purchased supplies for doing canning.  My plan is to keep an eye on the foods that are in the clearance section and can them when I find good deals.  Meijer s participates in a program where they discount foods that are going to go bad soon….something like this would be perfect.  Then next summer when I plant my gardens the game plan will be to can the things I get from there.  I bought supplies for pressure canning and water bath canning, so when I am ready and find a deal I will have what I need.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today is her 31st birthday

After being gone for six weeks…..

His next assignment….